Tuesday, May 31, 2011

ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY: Asleep





Is there anything more precious than a sleeping child? 
Two totally different illustration treatments, and I couldn't choose between them, so I posted them both. The watercolor/ink illustration is from my Squirmy Wormy book, "Sometimes eVen when I'm tired... My arms and legs just feel like dancing... DANCE, DANCE, DANCE, DANCE, DANCE". 
The graphite illustration is of my husband and son. I find such great joy when I capture the minutia of detail on these "life's special moments"-type portraits. It's a feeling of beautiful intimacy as I create individual fingernails, or just the right curve of a face, or a foot. Does anyone else have that same feeling when capturing people or things near to your heart?

6 comments:

  1. Both of these are great. But I absolutely love your father and son drawing. I makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and reminds me of my own family. Wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geee...I really like them both too. The top one is so cheery, but the bottom one is wonderful--I love how the two of them are so intertwined. It's so peaceful and full of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first is cute cute and the second one is so tender and sweet, LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first illustration is so colourful and lovely! The second one is great and very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, I'm not an artist but my favourite is the second drawing. Your talent with a pencil leaves me speechless, the drawing is more than I'd get from a photo, the love in their intertwining is clear. As a papercrafter new to coloring with copics I am amazed by your shading and lines. And remember the first crafters rule, If the boy's hand worries you - rub it out and leave it under the tangle of arms - nobody else would know it had been there but you.

    ReplyDelete

**~~ Thanks so much for leaving a comment...
I love to hear what you're thinking!~~**